Partnerships & Resources
SLA is a member of The Partnership, a group of provincial and territorial library associations that meet and work together for mutual benefit.
As a member of SLA, you are eligible for member rates for The Partnership’s Education Institute webinars. You also have access to the Job Board for library positions and to The Canadian Journal of Library and Information Practice and Research, where you will find peer-reviewed articles relevant to the library community.
Please visit The Partnership website for information on all their programs.
- Education Institute – webinars and online learning for library information workers.
- Job Board – a listing of positions available in the library and information sector in Canada.
- Partnership: The Canadian Journal of Library and Information Practice and Research is a library and information practitioner’s journal published twice a year. Papers may be submitted at any time for publication consideration. Potential articles are reviewed by members of an editorial committee. Articles are published in several categories. Feature articles on theory & research and on innovations in practice are in-depth, peer-reviewed papers that typically fall in the range of 3,000 to 7,000 words. Other types of articles accepted include viewpoints, conference presentations, profiles, professional development and book reviews.
- The Library Marketplace – The Ontario Library Association offers SLA members the opportunity to purchase items from the OLA Store at Member prices. Please review the catalogue and when ordering, indicate that you are an SLA member.
- Member Benefits – GoodLife Fitness and Perkopolis – a discount opportunity offered to members of The Partnership. As an SLA individual member, you are being offered an opportunity to take advantage of very good savings on many products and services in entertainment, hotels, shopping, and travel.
OLA Marketplace Discount
The Ontario Library Association (OLA) offers SLA members the opportunity to purchase items from the OLA Marketplace at member prices. Please visit the OLA Marketplace website and, when ordering, indicate that you are an SLA member. The promo code that SLA members can use is: PART15.
A library training and promotion repository
The Library Toolshed, provides a space for library staff to share, download and comment on library training and promotion resources. It is a joint initiative of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan libraries.
Do I need an account?
You do not need an account to access any of the free, curated training and promotion materials in the repository. Visit the website and search for material by resource type, training topic or library region.
You do need an account if you want to share the documents you created with others. To share training materials created at your library, you’ll need to request an account. To request an account, visit The Library Toolshed website, select login and select create new account.
What type of information is available?
The Library Toolshed has training material on a wide variety of topics, such as children’s programming, computer basics, eBooks, ILS, information literacy, library advocacy, social media and more. The materials are available in a variety of forms. Library workers can upload and download materials in the following document types: .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx, .pdf, and Prezis. If a person wants to share a video they must first upload it to YouTube, Vimeo, etc. and then embed the link at the Library Toolshed.
All content uploaded to The Library Toolshed is shared using a Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial 3.0 Unported License (CC BY-NC 3.0). This means that anyone downloading content from The Library Toolshed is free to reuse and modify the resource.